Monday, October 20, 2014

A Reserved Nordic Fest Founder

Some of the Nordic Fest founders on the float created for them by the skilled Decorah carpenter Willie Brown at the 25th Nordic Fest in 1991. 
Missing from this photo are Harry Olson and Dr. Marion Nelson.

Harry Olson served as president of the first Nordic Fest board, elected by his peers based on their deep respect for him. Harry is well known in Decorah for being a key part of Ruby's Restaurant and Catering, including the famous Ronnie's Rolls offered each morning there. Although Harry is very comfortable with close friends, he is hard working yet generally reserved in larger group settings and shuns any kind of public attention on his community leadership. 

Harry is not present in the photo at the start of the parade route during the 25th Nordic Fest. It's what happened after this photo was taken where this story picks up. Both of the following accounts are taken from a 1997 interview:

First, from the late Gary Svenson: 
"During the 25th Nordic Fest, all those neat old memories about how successful the first year was came flooding back. It was really overwhelming to see the wonderful float Willie Brown so beautifully made for us to ride on during the parade. The only problem was this little pain (points to Harry Olson, who he is interviewing with) decided he was going to be stuck up and not come get on the float. I couldn't believe that because after all, he was president that very first year. That's when Mike, Jerry, Darrell and I decided come hell or high water, when the parade went by Harry's restaurant, we were going to kidnap him no matter if he had 20 steaks on the grill."

And from Harry:
"During the 25th Nordic Fest, I thought it was really slick how the history was celebrated. I did not go to the founders' float because I was needed at the restaurant. I kind of thought they might do something when they came by. I had no idea they would kidnap me. They came too quick! I had no time to duck back in. I got back in time for the post-parade rush. It turned out to be really neat because I had the video camera going when they came by and kept it running the whole time I sat on the float during the remainder of the parade." 

Enjoy your video, Harry - and thanks to you and your fellow founders for what you created!   

No comments:

Post a Comment