Monday, October 5, 2015

Reflections on Fests past and present: guest post

Creative Commons photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104815519@N08/
The following copyright editorial authored  by the late Helen Grant Schmidt of Decorah appeared in a 2000 issue of the Decorah Newspapers. Used with permission.  To learn more about Helen, click here

Nordic Fest is not for sissies - or for old folks whose feet have already walked at least a million miles. Most Decorah women devote at least one day of the Fest to preparing and serving food for their church or organization which not only takes some of the time they could have spent on exhibits and entertainment, but also takes a bit of starch out of the sails. (An old saying, for those who are asking, "What?")

I am one of those women so I must decide how much of the Fest I can take in with the time that remains. I begin with good intentions, but barely get started when those old, faithful feet and legs are screaming, "Stop, stop, I can't do this anymore." 

Therefore, when Rick, Sarah, Lisa, Karen and Brian take me to the events I missed, I am most grateful. As I study their great pictorial review, I must about the "good old days" of Nordic Fest when I was able to do it all. 

This year, I missed the weaving exhibit, the rosemaling display, which is always so lovely, the antiques (could I have added another hat pin to my collection?) and all the other demonstrations of arts and craft. I used to love wandering around and taking in all the beauty that was offered. 

I never missed a rock throw when the top contenders were Junior Rovang and a husky blond fellow whose real name eludes me because I always called him Champ.

And what fun it was to feel the residual spray as the Decorah Fire Department battled those of neighboring towns in the water fights. 

I don't remember if they had the run in the first Fests, but when I saw the picture of Trevor Satrom in the 15K Evelopet, I thought of a sleepy little boy I had to wake up from a nap now and then. How time flies.

The Vesterheim pictures take me back to the many Fests I spent playing "school marm" in the old schoolhouse as an outdoor division guide.

The Porter House was another place where I loved my guide duties. This year, their "Christmas in July" brought record-breaking crowds. The decorations by Judy Nye, Pam Mann, Kris Croatt and Midge Kjome were nothing less than spectacular. Lucky for me, I love across the street, not a long walk. 

The torchlight parade and bonfire and/or fireworks were always fun, but this year I "listened" to the fireworks from the comfort of my bed.

I love both groups of Nordic Dancers, and, through the yes, who among us has not watched their favorite dance his or her way to maturity? My particular favorite was Liz Hart.

Of course, I couldn't miss the parade. I carried my trusty lawn chair two and a half blocks to Water Street and sat back to enjoy. 

Nordic Fest began the same year I moved back to Decorah. The marching children always make me think of the early years and how cute Sandy, Candyce and Brandon were, marching in the Norwegian costumes I made for them. Randy marched with the Boy Scouts along with Grandpa Fred Grant, a Silver Beaver Scout. 

The puppets are a fun addition to the parade. I wouldn't want to be on the inside, looking out; it must take strength and balance to man one of them.

The New Minowa Players always seem to come up with something clever for their float, and this year was no exception. Through the 25 years of their existence, I have helped decorate and ridden on several. Always a fun time. My favorite float was a giant typewriter we rigged for "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."

The comic entries add a lot of spice to the parade. This year's Swat Team rivaled The Vipers of a few years ago.

It was great to have the Decorah High School band participating, and I must confess I didn't recognize the Kilties without the kilts that have made them so unique. 

I never see a parade or marching band without thinking of Professor Russell Platz, the music instructor when I was in high school. He was a perfectionist and had us doing all manner of formations and maneuvers and even doing oblique marching and waltz steps. I can still hear him call, "Guide right" if even one band member was out of perfect line.

I was happy to see the past Nordic Fest presidents being honored this year. What a tremendous job it must be to oversee all the various events and venues, and every year it goes off without a hitch. At least none that are visible to those of us who only watch and enjoy.

Thanks to all of you, and this year's Nordic Fest Board. 











No comments:

Post a Comment