Monday, August 31, 2015

Nordic Fest brings out the best in Decorah: Guest post

The following copyright editorial appeared in a post-Nordic Fest 2000 edition of the Decorah Newspapers and was authored by the late Margaret Gulsvig. 
Used with permission. 
To learn more about Margaret's life, click here

A cousin from Minnesota called me early Sunday morning Nordic Fest weekend.

"I've been calling you all weekend," she said, "and I never get an answer. I walked up and down Water Street looking for you, asking people I met if they knew you." 

Now she was on her way home and we wouldn't meet vis-a-vis...

Well, that's Nordic Fest for you. And I hadn't left town as a few opt for doing to avoid getting involved. Instead, I am pretty much in the thick of things, hosting at Vesterheim one day and dishing up rommegrot at Bethania another day.

I frankly didn't know I had this third cousin in Minnesota. But, if a strange lady named Myrtle stopped you on Water Street to ask if you knew me, saying I was her cousin, well, now you know what that was all about.

In short, there was so much for me to do I even missed the parade entry from Westby, Wis., where I lived 50-some years before returning to the home of my heart, Decorah.

Sadly, however, I never had time to visit the site of the woodcarvers, some of whom are also my friends from Westby. Meanwhile, I had this heavy heart for two Westby people who have contributed so much to Nordic Fest - both monetarily as well as serving on the board of Vesterheim. Serious illness prevented their coming, but a banner hanging on the outside wall of Vesterheim proclaimed their top monetary contribution. 

Actually, by Sunday I was a bit tired. But along with being tired there was a feeling of wonder at how great the weekend had been, even bringing my childhood playmate, Dorrit Dale, all the way from Roanoke, Virginia, to reunion as we have done for the last 25 years.

Also, it brought a rosemaling friend all the way from Boise, Idaho, winning no special awards but selling all five of her entries, and going home weighted down with the proceeds.

In retrospect then, who does one thank? Everyone! Naming one person or group obviously can't be done, either, do I'll just hit the high spots and let you find your niche.

The Nordic Fest Board stands tall in the lineup, adding fabulous musical groups to the sit-down entertainment. If you missed the Norwegian musicians, you have my sympathy. To my dismay, I missed the choral group but heard glowing critiques of their performance. 

The college, as usual contributed more than people realize by staging a week-long type of elderhostel, providing rooms for participants, as well as classes, of which I attended, envying all the students who have one Dr. Jim Rhodes as a teacher.

Baker Village accommodated attendees of the week-long session, many of whom stayed to enjoy the Fest, as well as housing a yearly Scandinavian session and later the musical groups who added so much.

Last but not least, whoever was in charge of the weather may now stand up and take a bow. It was beautiful.

As a walker, I virtually get lost here in Decorah trying to pick out the most beautiful tree, the most entrancing habitat, the best-cared-for flower beds, and the churches with their majestic spires, all provided every day in Decorah.

But do not forget people, especially those who plan the Nordic Fest weekend, all the people in Decorah who contribute to make the Fest such a double-whammy affair. This includes all who served in any way.

In short, it's all there, even the afterglow fireworks boom-booming in the background as one drifts off to dreamland. Has anything been omitted? Please forgive any special lack of mention.

"Are you glad to be here?" Wisconsin friends ask, leaving me absolutely tongue-tied. Where do I start to explain how much I love it here? In my mind, I still pose as Julie Andrews, arms flung wide and signing, "The world is alive..." always, here in Decorah, but especially with the sounds of Nordic Fest. 

Monday afternoon addendum: As I walked the track at Carlson stadium early this morning, there was this gentleman walking backwards. It was a first I'd ever seen, but I think he'll be okay. He was obviously trying to relive a happy weekend choosing this manner of walking to bring back pleasant memories. Signed, Attending Physician Andrew.

Ta det med ro! 
(Take it easy!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment